Wednesday, October 10, 2007

it's october and there is no baseball on televsion day #3, transmisisons from the ledge

So I was going to make a "Ten Things I Learned During the ALDS" post, sort of a catch-all catch-up, sorry I'm on vacation and Katie actually has to work for a living and can't keyboardmash insane ramblings about Jonathan Papelbon's six different species of game faces (I believe we saw #4 during the 8th inning of Game 2, the THIS JUST IN: THAT DID NOT SUCK primal scream face), and I got about six points deep:

1. It is possible for Terry Francona to fill out a lineup card that does not include Alex Cora OR Eric Hinske. It turns out that our opening day lineup (albeit in a slight different order) is actually a damn good team, and they have a pretty damn smart manager.

2. Josh Beckett doesn't sleep, he waits. And he has apparently been waiting since October 25, 2003 and not missed a single beat.

3. We already knew this one, too, but it's nice to have it confirmed: Manny Ramirez is a bad man.

4. Eric Wedge is a ballsy motherfucker. As much as I would have preferred to have tired out Sabathia in Game 4 and Carmona in a theoretical Game 5, I really respect Eric Wedge for saying, "Fuck all y'all, I'm starting Paul Byrd." I still have no idea how Byrd ended up with the W in Game 4, but as a fan of the game, I tip my cap to Eric Wedge.

5. That said, if Jonathan Papelbon battled to the death with Joe Borowski 100 times, he would win 99 times, and the 100th time he would beat himself.

6. Apparently Suyzn Waldman never learned that there's no crying in baseball.

But then I took a break to look at the pictures from today's work-out at Fenway, and I boston.com posts eleventy billion pictures of the Red Sox players every year (shut up, you know you look at them all, too), but let's discuss:

JD Drew: I CAN HAS FACIAL EXPRESSION? (Look, it's not even a fluke!)



You might have heard that Josh Beckett is from Texas. I can only conclude from this photograph that he has had enough of this Tony Romo crap and has decided to take matters into his own hands.



(Brief aside: as someone who roots for the Patriots but was born and raised a 49ers fan, I don't think I can adequately express how much I want the Pats to destroy the Cowboys on Sunday.)

Dice-K explores the possibility that he would pitch more effectively if he adopted a gansta-like swagger:



Just Paps being Paps:



Finally: I'm really enjoying the national coverage that the Red Sox get when they aren't about to play the Yankees. Last night on Baseball Tonight, there was a five-minute discussion about Manny Delcarmen being the key to the Sox bullpen. You know that Manny Delcarmen being a strong sixth and seventh innings guy is the key to the bullpen, and I know that, but I had no idea ESPN knew that, because they've always been too busy shoving the rivalry down our throats. It's a brave new world!

8 Comments:

At 10:09 PM, Blogger lucky number 33 said...

All right, stop! Collaborate! And listen! Dice-K's back with a brand new invention!*

*I think it was the...Gyroball.

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Oh god, how I love the boston.com photo galleries. Where else would I get my J.D. Drew v. Bobby Kielty Dance-off fix? (I'm pretty sure Nancy won and that was his victory dance, right there.) Also, I will trawl just about anything these days to get my baseball fix, up to and including chat transcripts on boston.com with inane questions from people calling themselves GagneSux, etc. Today I watched all the celebration videos TexasGal compiled. Glee all around.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Kristen said...

I would pay one million American dollars to watch Josh Beckett destroy Tony Romo.

I mean, totally fine if the Pats want to do it too, but more hilarious for everyone if Beckett does it, no?

 
At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE the Globe's image galleries. They're like... my life. Or, at least, how I get my fill of the Sox without them playing every day. It's pretty sad.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger always thinking about papelbon said...

a. luna, shh, remy will hear you! and then he'll NEVER LET IT DIE.

b. kristen, i'm confident that josh beckett's destruction of tony romo would be more creative than the patriots' (they are all business, don't you know) -- it would definitely start with doing untoward things to carrie underwood.

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Other things we've learned from the globe photo galleries - jonathan's glove is embroidered with "cinco ocho" - LOVE.

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

chaussure louboutin, sac michael kors, ralph lauren, mulberry, michael kors canada, tn pas cher, michael kors uk, lacoste pas cher, nike trainers, hollister, longchamp, sac vanessa bruno, new balance pas cher, vans pas cher, sac louis vuitton, nike free, converse pas cher, louis vuitton, north face pas cher, ray ban uk, nike air force, burberry pas cher, hollister, nike roshe, oakley pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, louis vuitton uk, guess pas cher, nike huarache, hollister, scarpe hogan, timberland, ray ban pas cher, mac cosmetics, louis vuitton pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, nike roshe run, north face, roshe run, longchamp pas cher, vans outlet, air max, barbour, lululemon, longchamp, nike air max, hermes pas cher

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

north face outlet, nfl jerseys, marc jacobs outlet, abercrombie and fitch, soccer shoes, ghd, ferragamo shoes, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, chi flat iron, jimmy choo shoes, insanity workout, ugg, valentino shoes, canada goose pas cher, uggs on sale, north face jackets, herve leger, moncler, reebok shoes, asics shoes, baseball bats, ugg soldes, moncler, rolex watches, canada goose uk, moncler, mcm handbags, uggs outlet, birkin bag, babyliss pro, iphone 6 case, new balance outlet, celine handbags, lululemon outlet, wedding dresses, soccer jerseys, p90x workout, canada goose outlet, ugg boots, giuseppe zanotti, instyler ionic styler, beats headphones, canada goose, moncler outlet, mont blanc pens, bottega veneta, nike air max, ugg outlet, hollister clothing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home