Monday, July 23, 2007

crab!

Pulling out all the stops for Jon Lester's return to the majors, I engaged in my first blatant attempt on the season to cajole some good luck. I was walking home from the bus and thinking about how I needed to scrub the bathroom floor and how, last time it was my turn to scrub the bathroom floor, I did something that made the task slightly less tedious, but what did I -- right! I was listening to the Sox game from the other room! And that ended up being the Mother's Day Miracle game! So if I scrub the bathroom floor tonight, that'll be GOOD LUCK, RIGHT?

(Reminds me of the 2004 ALCS, when Katie, the PM and I spent so much time knocking on various wood surfaces in the living room of our apartment that I think I had bloody knuckles by the end.)

My Cinderella mojo aside, Jon Lester was both pretty good and pretty lucky tonight -- there were some hard-hit balls in just the right places, the infield turned some nice double plays, and there was the now-you-see-the-lead-disappearing-now-you-dont! bases loaded one-out jam in the fourth. The best part of the fourth inning magic act was Lester's parents, who, in an interview with Tina's Cavernous Maw in the previous inning (during which I am 62% positive Kathie Lester ROLLED HER EYES at Cavernous Maw, God bless her), were all, "baseball, shmaseball, we're just glad he's healthy." And rightfully so, obviously, but after he struck out Sizemore to end the inning, their fist pump action was positively Papelbonian. Fuck yeah!

Still, if anybody deserves a little luck, it's Lester. And now there's a chance that the Red Sox could have six healthy and qualified major league starters by the first week of August. I'm rooting for Lester and Gabbard to both put up no-hitters sometime in their next couple starts, so they have to have a wizard's duel to decide who gets to keep the fifth spot.

3 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Texy said...

Thought if anyone could appreciate this video of Papelbon, it would be you!

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger always thinking about papelbon said...

oh thank god. someone e-mailed me to tell me about this, but i was at work late and didn't catch the pre-game show last night, so i was pretty sure i was going to lose sleep until i tracked it down. thank you!

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Gabbard's low BABIP (.225) seems to indicate that he has some spellcasting abilities. I would like his chances in a wizard's duel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home