Wednesday, June 20, 2007

from the land down under

I'm on this Australian teleconference and I keep drifting off to check the score or daydream about Josh Beckett and interestingly enough there hasn't yet been a moment when the awkward silence that follows a question directed to me can be filled with "Coco just hit a sweet homer" or "even Beckett's goatee is starting to grow on me!" Stupid teleconference...

Dudes, Beckett! I'm telling you he's even more appealing when I don't have to go look at DMB lyrics after his badass victory. Um... I loved the conversation between TC and Eck (who we'll discuss in detail in a moment) last night where TC was all overenthusiastic fangirl about how Beckett was "dominant" and Eck gave a more realistic summation of Beckett's so-so performance and yet still managed to see MORE impressed. And I guess that makes sense-- it's perhaps a greater feat to seem to dominate even when you're not bringing your best stuff than it is to actually dominate. He's just so confident these days. I love it!

Also on the list of things I love so much I'll stay up too late for them: Eck. Oh thank god he's come back to me! I mean, he may have been back for awhile, but I haven't had the opportunity to watch the post-game since the dangerously unpleasant days of Macha. The Eck was a site for sore eyes even though I'm pretty sure he repeated himself verbatim at least three times in the first ten minutes. Possibly because he did that. I practically leapt off the couch when I saw that glorious mullet and the beautiful apricot tie.

Katie: OMG, ECK!
CSPAN: Is it just me or is there more salt in that salt-and-pepper mustache?
Katie: I think you're right. In the mullet, too.
CSPAN: What's he been doing-- looking into the mouth of hell?
Katie: Pretty sure that's what Eck does every Saturday. Get up, have some breakfast, pick out a pastel tie, glare into the mouth of hell, call mom, comb the mullet...etc.


It was a good night for NESN personnel all around, really. The return of the Eck (yes, that is set to Mark Morrison's "Return of the Mack" and no, I don't feel bad for getting that in your heads), the Cavernous Maw having one of the worst hair days in recent memory, and, of course, the semi-requisite Remy and DonO hysterics. I have to give them this one, though, that drunk guy was hi-LAR-ious. Dancing around in that Papelbon jersey, beer proudly waving-- that's pretty much who kelly is on the inside at all times. We're definitely adopting him as our unofficial mascot. Brilliant display-- it's too bad they'd all ready given the fan of the game award before the rain delay.


All right, my call's over, the score is 7-0 in the 2nd, and I'm willing to pretend Lugo isn't playing until he forces me to do otherwise, so I think it's time to take this can't-believe-I-live-in-a-world-where-I'm-psyched-for-Tavarez's-starts show on the road. I hope he demonstrates his bowling/skee ball ability again!

5 Comments:

At 11:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ok. I read the last post and this post and not actually having seen the game where Tavarez did his little skee-ball routine, I immediately and incorrectly assumed he bowled the ball as in the game of cricket. Cricket was my immediate assumption. I'm just mentioning this because it's the most absurd conclusion I think I've ever come up with in my life, and I've got you to thank. Thought you should know.

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Katiee said...

Eck must have the best tie secting in his closet because his pastel ties own

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger lucky number 33 said...

No skeeball tonight, but lots of traffic directing from the mound, plus he accidentally swung with the bat upside down in the second inning.

Not to mention a damn 11-0 shutout. When did Julian Tavarez...HOW did Julian Tavarez...you know what, I can't even find a way to ask that question concisely and coherently.

Julian Tavarez, breaker of minds.

--Caroline.

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Garett said...

Hey!

Audrey told me about this blog and I think it's fantastic. Well done. It was great meeting you the other week and you can bet that I will stay tuned to this here.

On a side note, what do you think of the Mark Buehrle trade talks?

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger always thinking about papelbon said...

G!

It was great meeting you as well, I hope your relocation back to the east coast goes well. If you ever come up this way for a game at Fenway, let me know.

Re: Buehrle, I'm torn. I read something today that pointed out that fans have gone from not knowing enough about its teams minor league prospects to knowing too much about them. A relatively savvy fan will say, "Yeah, I'd love to have Buehrle, but I don't want to give up Buchholz or Bowden." But nobody knows if either of them are actually going to succeed on the Major League level! If I could go back two years and trade Craig Hansen for a proven 28-year-old starter, I'd trip myself on my way to my time machine. So while I don't want to sell the farm for what could be just a three-month rental, I do think it's interesting that fans might be tending toward overthinking how much the team should protect its prospects.

Also, they were just saying on ESPN that some people think that the White Sox floated the rumor about the Red Sox just to try and bait the Mets, so who knows?

Anyway, good to hear from you, don't be a stranger.

--Kelly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home