"high performance shave gel!" "for his ass, right?"Some things I enjoyed about this weekend:
1. On Friday night, when Coco got a lead-off single in the first inning, stole second and moved over to third on a sacrifice fly, so that there was one out with a runner on third? Yeah, they ended up stranding him, but I had a moment where I kind of understood why the organization once used the words "Coco Crisp" and "lead-off hitter of the future" in the same sentence. Like, "oh, that's how that was supposed to work."
2. Tito got thrown out of that game on Saturday night with all the enthusiasm of a kid faking sick so he doesn't have to go to school. He totally wanted to get thrown so he wouldn't have to keep watching. I don't know that this was necessarily enjoyable, but it was the only thing about Saturday night that made me laugh in a "hahah, oh, you," sort of way, not a nervous "please, just end this," way.
3. Papi scored from second on a sacrifice fly to right field and nobody died.
4. After a few inconsistent outings, Papelbon is totally back in kill mode. His two outing this weekend were just dominant, bring-out-the-body-bag stuff. My only concern is that he's going to break his own hand with the overly enthusiastic post-game glove thumping.
5. Everybody's talking about Clemens' relief appearance in San Francisco, and whether it showed that 1) Clemens isn't the asshole anti-teammate people thought and/or 2) Joe Torre has completely lost his fucking mind, but too many talking heads are overlooking the best part: it wasn't even an effective inning! He gave up a run! But seriously, after trying to convert him to a DH and a 1B and apparently unwilling to put him on the DL, I fully expect to Joe Torre to have Johnny Damon warming up in the bullpen any day now.
6. Josh Beckett looked so bored during his post-game press conference on Sunday night, I thought he was going to start napping in the middle of his 367th variation on answering a question without just coming out and saying, "Look, I know I sucked last year, but don't you read the fucking Globe? I'm a pitcher now, not a thrower. I rule the fucking school. Get used to it."
7. This web ad. Now with high-performance skin care? I can't EVEN.
Okay, now I gotta go drink six cups of coffee so I can make it through another West Coast game.