Friday, July 27, 2007

i am concerned that kason might not be eating his crusts.

A couple weeks ago, the Red Sox lost a one-run game to the Blue Jays (you may recall, it was one-run loss #489 of 572 for the month of July) where Julian Tavarez only went four innings but left with a 5-4 lead. When it seemed like we might still win the game, Paddy McMurphy and I did some reading about who wins the game when the starting pitcher leaves before going five innings and learned that in the event that the starting pitcher goes less than 5 innings but leaves with the lead, the win goes to the pitcher that the official scorer judges as having been the most effective. Cue last night's game, in which Tavarez gets the win, having pitched 2 and 1/3rd innings after Kason Gabbard went 4 and 2/3rds innings (sadly, that pitching line, unlike his name, was not a typo). I imagine Batshit got the win because he went the longest in relief, but he also gave up four runs, so I don't know that I would call him the most effective, either.

And really, how are we measuring most effective, anyway? Don't you think there's a reasonable chance that Mike Timlin spent a large portion of last night's game sitting in the visitor's bullpen, stroking the pelt of an animal he'd killed with his bare hands, hissing in Julian Tavarez's ear about how there'd been some changes since the last time Julian was in the bullpen, and that this was a bullpen that was feared and respected now, and Julian, the prodigal son, was not going to come back and frig everything up, you hear? And the MDC was like, "Um, Mike, when you came back from the DL, didn't you kind of--" and, and Timlin says, "Shut the fuck up, Delcarmen, or I'll send you back to Pawtucket myself. From here. One-handed." And so little Manny shut up and he and Papelbon went back to playing Go Fish.

So in that scenario (in my opinion, 97% likely to be untrue), isn't Mike Timlin the most effective relief pitcher on the night?

6 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger k said...

Kason was not a shining light on my fantasy team and I blame you. Except not really - let's be honest, it was probably the tilt of bad luck in my karma when he "joined" my fantasy team that did him in. It's all my fault.

I thought the win went to the pitcher who was pitching when the team took the lead. Thus the classic Dugout where Farnsworth bitched out his paperboy, KingofPap for putting BS by his name along with the W.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger always thinking about papelbon said...

yeah, that applies to relief pitchers only, i think: if the team comes from behind after the starter has already left the game, the win is attributed to the relief pitcher of record during the inning of the comeback. however, for starting pitchers, if they don't go five innings, they aren't eligible to receive the win, even if the team is leading when they come out (i think this has to do with 5 innings being the length of an official game).

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Batshit probably got the win because he got the crucial out (the last out of the 5th, with the tying run at the plate) and the rule also provides for earned runs (all of Batshit's runs were unearned, thanks to Lugo) to be considered.

However, Timlin's contributions should cetainly be reflected in the stat line, as should Closer Boy's .900 winning pct. in the Go Fish contests. Perhap some new stats are in order. There can never be enough stats.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger HoyaSoxa said...

OK, I'm not even going to beat around the bush here, I'm just going to suck up from the start. This blog is absolutely terrific. It's much funnier than my Sox blog. I mean, I try, I come up with some weird shit (http://soxnest.com/our-of-left-field-more-fun-with-japanese-media/) but your stream of consciousness kills me. Kills me.

Please link my site (www.soxnest.com). It'd make my day. Maybe my week.

 
At 5:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger John said...

y3 shoes
true religion outlet store
coach outlet online
coach outlet online
falcons jerseys
costa sunglasses sale
yeti
coach outlet store
cheap snapbacks
nike blazer
yolo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home