The popular videogame "Doom" is based loosely around the time Satan borrowed two bucks from Julian Tavarez and forgot to pay him back.5 Thoughts While I Contemplate the Fact That the Owner of Tonight's Only RBI was Dustin Pedroia
1. I'm thinking, if I have a valuable possession that I really want to keep an eye on, something I really want to make sure it stays put, I'll just put it on base in scoring position when the Red Sox are up to bat, because that way I know it probably isn't going anywhere.
2. I was nursing the slight back end of a hangover and looking for some background noise while I did my homework this afternoon, so I ended up watching the Yankees game on Fox. (Baseball = the best combination of incentive and white noise for banging out reading responses. I never would have made it this far through grad school without it.) This put me in the awkward position of actively rooting against a perfect game, but I was up to the task. Me and Tim McCarver, who didn't even wait until the end of the fifth before he started trying to jinx it. I never thought I'd say this, but thank God for Tim McCarver.
3. Twelve stranded base runners? Do these players not realize what Julian Tavarez is capable of? Julian Tavarez doesn't sleep, he waits.
4. At least Papelbon was back in the saddle again last night, thank Christ. Also, Mike has a good explanation for how the team managed to keep Paps from busting out of the bullpen during the Mariners game. Between his total "what the fuck is going on?" face on Thursday night and the fact that I'm pretty sure the microphones picked up Papi shouting "This is bullshit!" on his way back to the dugout after his first strike-out in tonight's game, it's been a good week.
5. Also, we've never had reason to discuss this on the blog before, but Katie's two favorite things in the whole world are carnies and board games. We decided on Thursday night that we love Julian Tavarez so much because he kind of looks like he could be a carnie.