Saturday, April 21, 2007

can't start a fire without a spark


WLERAIPHERHRBBSO
4/21402.556.294027What I want is what I've not got / What I need is all around me

The Random Josh Beckett Pitching Performance Generator gives us this Dave Matthews Band lyric on a day when Beckett didn't exactly pitch a gem, but the offense kept the Sox in the game early (both the usual suspects -- Papi! -- and some unexpected ones -- Coco!?!) and the bullpen kept them in the game late. But props to Beckett himself, too. This time last year, DMB's biggest fan would have gotten frustrated and starting hurtling fastballs with all the unpredictability of a pitching machine, but he really double-knotted his Ninja Turtle shoelaces after the second inning, and managed to keep grinding it out.

Papelbon, incidentally, has now notched 5 saves in 5 opportunities, has worked his way out of a couple of jams, maintains a 0.00 ERA and 12 strike outs over 6.1 innings of work. I've crunched the numbers, and I believe this indicates he is on target to put up a 27.75 K/9 for the season. Yes, you read that right, occasionally Papelbon will strike out an opposing batter twice in one plate appearance. And if there's an Allah, the first batter who will meet this fate will be Derek Jeter.

On a more sentimental note: We've seen some pitching gems over the last couple weeks, and we've seen some offensive routs. But it's these close games that I love, as much as I tear my hair out while they're happening, and it's games like this one that makes me excited about watching this team all summer long, drunk at odd hours, stumbling around Somerville wearing my A-ROD SLAPS BALLS t-shirt.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 11:48 PM, Blogger GEO President said...

I need to pick up a new obscene t-shirt during my mid-summer pilgrimage to the fens. My "Posada is a Little Bitch" has a big stain on it I can't get out. Do they make "Johnny Damon is a Whore"?

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger always thinking about papelbon said...

Yeah, my A-Rod shirt has some stains, too, probably because I'm usually drunk when I'm wearing it.

But! I meant to tell you, re: your post about last night's game, that No Hair, No Beard, No Soul is actually a popular t-shirt slogan. Though it doesn't quite have the straight-forward simplicity of "Johnny Damon is a Whore."

Last time I was at Fenway, there were "I [heart] Hazel Mae" shirts. Clearly this should be my next purchase.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Mike said...

It didn't get a lot of press locally, but Cole Hamels of the Phillies actually struck Adam Dunn of the Reds out 3 times in a plate appearance on Saturday.
Dunn lead off the 5th inning and struck out 3 times on change-ups, retiring the side.

Hamels is kind of the NL version of Papelbon. Except that's he LH. And a starter. And his out pitch is a change. And he spends the offseason working in a vet's office, patching up animals, including wounded ducks. But, except for those minor things, he's quite Papelbonian.

 
At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Papelbonian" is my new favorite word. BRILL.

It describes EXACTLY how I feel when I play the bird-shooting bonus round of Big Buck Hunter and when I made an extremely intimidating triple word score at Scrabble. Plus, I'm sure it has MANY other uses that I've not yet thought of.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Wade said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Wade said...

"Surprisingly, Gordon Edes ends this article in a very Papelbonian fashion."

As for Damon, this sums it up best.

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I totally want the "your wife may be a stripper, but you're a whore" one. I've never seen that one before!

 
At 4:47 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

north face outlet, nfl jerseys, marc jacobs outlet, abercrombie and fitch, soccer shoes, ghd, ferragamo shoes, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, chi flat iron, jimmy choo shoes, insanity workout, ugg, valentino shoes, canada goose pas cher, uggs on sale, north face jackets, herve leger, moncler, reebok shoes, asics shoes, baseball bats, ugg soldes, moncler, rolex watches, canada goose uk, moncler, mcm handbags, uggs outlet, birkin bag, babyliss pro, iphone 6 case, new balance outlet, celine handbags, lululemon outlet, wedding dresses, soccer jerseys, p90x workout, canada goose outlet, ugg boots, giuseppe zanotti, instyler ionic styler, beats headphones, canada goose, moncler outlet, mont blanc pens, bottega veneta, nike air max, ugg outlet, hollister clothing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home