Friday, April 06, 2007

probably when you're sleeping, and he'll probably look like someone you love, just to make it worse when he strikes you out.

And so it came to pass, just as it was foretold, that each year, on the fifth day of the fourth month, a great warrior would descend from the southern duck mountains, and all manner of Hell would be released, and the door would be slammed on his enemies and he would collect his first save of the campaign.

--so, Papelbon
collects his first save of 2007, exactly one year after he collected his first save of 2006. Three up, three down, 2 strike outs, 100% bad ass new god. At the risk of sounding like I'm describing Derek Jeter's intangibles or the grit of David Eckstein or something -- we don't exactly trade in objectivity around here when it comes to #58, but the Papelbon I saw yesterday afternoon didn't look like the one I saw in Spring Training, or the one I saw pitching middle relief in 2005. Call it a placebo effect, but I really think he brings something extra when he knows that this one inning is for all the marbles. Maybe it's all in his head (maybe it's all in my head), but I don't care. Cue the theme from Pride Rock, baseball season has officially begun.

Additionally:

1. For the first seven innings, this new guy pitched? He was wearing the traitor's old number? 10 strikeouts? Huh.

2. If you're worried about getting caught sneaking out to the bar across the street from your office for a first and second inning late lunch, I recommend inviting along your department director.

3. Remind me to never plan a spur of the moment vacation again: I'm going out of town tonight, and I'm going to be out of the country for the home opener. What really burns is that I'm going to be in Seattle on Monday and Thursday, so if I'd planned things a little better, I could have at least watched the Mariners affiliate. Anyway, I'm sure my college roommate will think it's awesome when I insist on spending my visit checking the ESPN box score 10,000 times. Until then, I leave you all in Katie's capable hands.

5 Comments:

At 12:59 AM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

I liked when he got that save todays game was not so enjoyable have fun on your vacation:-)

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger KAYLEE said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome blog!

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Roxarita said...

Sure, ok, but how tall is he?

 
At 4:45 AM, Anonymous Glendora Office Cleaning said...

Grateful foor sharing this

 

Post a Comment

<< Home