Thursday, April 19, 2007

el tío que juega en la antesala solamente tiene un huevo

Apparently, Dougie IS actually a stud who hits bombs. 2 games, 2 HRs. You think they snuck some "going deep tonight" incentives into his contract along with all the weight loss incentives? Maybe he's visualizing the ball as one of those nice, tasty chicken parms he's no longer supposed to have and just sending it flying? I don't know, man, but I think we should just enjoy it while it lasts.

You know what I still find wonderful? How when you're watching a game in public, be it at Fenway or just in a bar, (Cask & Flagon, for those keeping track) and Papelbon comes out, everyone gets really quiet and focused. It's a bit like a religious ritual. And when he walked that guy, I swear I could hear everyone in the room hold their breath until he got out of it. Amazing! I think the save stat is bullshit, but that ERA is still a beautifully round 0.00, so all is right with the world.


While watching the Cavernous Maw of Tina Cervasio interview Lowell last night after his own SMASHING homerun we were speculating that she spent the non-aired portion of the interview asking if Lowell was still friends with
Loretta, because maybe he knew if Loretta lost her number or something, because he hasn't called since he left and she totally told him she'd wait for him and it's just...she really misses him! Ultimately, we decided the best thing for everyone (and by everyone, we mean "us") would be for the Cavernous Maw to start dating Pedroia because she'd totally call him 'Mark' during their intimate moments.

Speaking of the women of NESN (they should do a calendar!), the question of Amalie Benjamin was recently raised in the comments to kelly's post on Hazel Mae. Amalie actually showed up last night on Extra Innings and she seemed cute enough, but I'm not sure she's even old enough to buy beer. She's got adorable little hipster glasses, though, so there's that. Still, I doubt it's enough to distract kelly from Hazel Mae's um, sweaters.


Moving to today's game (which will leave us nothing to talk about tomorrow, but what the hell), have Kelly's 3 Deep Observations on watching the first 4 innings at the "office" across the street from her office:

1. First inning, second out. Tavarez gets to cover first base, which we all know is his favorite thing in the WHOLE WORLD [Katie's note: And MINE TOO!]. After tagging the bag, he does a weird motion that I thought was a fist pump, but I think he was actually cowering away from the runner. Or he has an upset stomach.

2. Third inning, first out. Ground ball hit between first and second base, and as the camera pans toward Pedroia making the scoop, you can see Tavarez RACING toward the bag, you know, just in case Hinske suffers a brain seizure and he needs someone to cover.

3. With the Manny New Yorker article shedding new light for me on just how long he and Julian have been friends (they came up together in Cleveland, apparently), I wondered if he might play harder when his best buddy was starting. But after that ball-burping-out-of-his-glove business in the bottom of the third, I ... guess not? But as cspan is hopefully getting printed on t-shirts any day now, Manny knows it's not July.


Really, I should have just let kelly write this post, since I also made her get me the Spanish for the subject line. Which, by the way, did you know that there's a English-to-Spanish baseball term dictionary on the Baseball Hall of F
ame website? Remarkable!

And finally, if you have not yet read the aforementioned New Yorker
article, you should definitely get right to it and then share your favorite Manny-ism with the world (read: "us", yet again). It has some fascinating tidbits-- I think my favorite was the bit about the "Prohibit City"-- so cute!

ETA: kelly says, in retrospect, take back what i said about manny. Indeed.

8 Comments:

At 5:08 PM, Blogger Wade said...

"I don’t keep track of the balls." He said, "I don’t keep track of the strikes, either, until I got two." Then he said, "Duke, I’m up there looking for a pitch I can hit. If I don’t get it, I wait for the umpire to tell me to go to first."

And that, my friends, is why Mannolo is the best Sox best hitter since Teddy Ballgame.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Papelbon has a .56 WHIP, .158 OBA, and 18.56 K/9! We are witnessing a HISTORIC season. He's definitely getting 87 saves this season. At least.

I am disappointed that I missed the EI w/Amalie and her hipster glasses.
Someday, there will be commercials for that NESN calendar during episodes of "Hangin' with Paps and Papi." Someday soon, I hope.

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger always thinking about papelbon said...

No one is more disappointed that they missed the Amalie Benjamin appearance on EI than me! I was in the bathroom, so I had to take her hotness at Katie's word, which was hard for me. On the bright side, I saw Hazel Mae wear TWO different tight sweaters today, so maybe things are starting to look up after all, eh?

If only there was a way Papelbon could rack up saves in clusters the same way he shoots ducks. Then he'd have 87 saves by next week.

 
At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, first, let's set the record straight-- I never said Amalie was "hot," just "cute." And she definitely wasn't wearing a Hazel Mae sweater. I don't want to up the hopes of NESN-watching straight men and lesbians everywhere. I kind of covet her glasses, though.

But, speaking of raised hopes and hotness, those stats are HOT. Oh, PAPELBON.

Also, re: Manny not keeping track of the balls = one of my five favorite things about Manny. Amazing.

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger Kim said...

re: Manny and Julian coming up in Cleveland. There was a GQ article on Manny back in 2004, and apparently when he'd been with Cleveland for a month or so, he asked a sportswriter for $60,000. "Manny," the writer (Sheldon Ocker) asks, "what do you want $60,000 for?" Manny tells him, "Julian and I want to buy motorcycles." When the writer tells him he doesn't have sixty grand on him (shocker), Manny asks for 30.

 
At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to go as far as to say Amalie Benjamin is hot. There is something about that bookish librarian look....and she likes sports! (Hazel definitely has something going for her, but I don't like implants.)

 
At 4:59 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

chaussure louboutin, sac michael kors, ralph lauren, mulberry, michael kors canada, tn pas cher, michael kors uk, lacoste pas cher, nike trainers, hollister, longchamp, sac vanessa bruno, new balance pas cher, vans pas cher, sac louis vuitton, nike free, converse pas cher, louis vuitton, north face pas cher, ray ban uk, nike air force, burberry pas cher, hollister, nike roshe, oakley pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, louis vuitton uk, guess pas cher, nike huarache, hollister, scarpe hogan, timberland, ray ban pas cher, mac cosmetics, louis vuitton pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, nike roshe run, north face, roshe run, longchamp pas cher, vans outlet, air max, barbour, lululemon, longchamp, nike air max, hermes pas cher

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

north face outlet, nfl jerseys, marc jacobs outlet, abercrombie and fitch, soccer shoes, ghd, ferragamo shoes, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, chi flat iron, jimmy choo shoes, insanity workout, ugg, valentino shoes, canada goose pas cher, uggs on sale, north face jackets, herve leger, moncler, reebok shoes, asics shoes, baseball bats, ugg soldes, moncler, rolex watches, canada goose uk, moncler, mcm handbags, uggs outlet, birkin bag, babyliss pro, iphone 6 case, new balance outlet, celine handbags, lululemon outlet, wedding dresses, soccer jerseys, p90x workout, canada goose outlet, ugg boots, giuseppe zanotti, instyler ionic styler, beats headphones, canada goose, moncler outlet, mont blanc pens, bottega veneta, nike air max, ugg outlet, hollister clothing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home