any day now, mike piazza is going to have a press conference to tell us he's never worn one of those rockies purple vest uniformsDice-K's two-out, two RBI scoring double in the third reminded me of the JD Drew grand slam in the first inning of Game 6 during the ALCS -- both exemplified everything that's weird and wonderful about sports in general and baseball in specific. You watch a team for 162 games and get to the point where you think you know what's going to happen before it happens. But you don't. You never, ever know what's going to happen.
* We watched the first five innings of this one at Common Ground in Allston, and I never thought I would have a happier moment at that bar than when I saw the Tony Romo fumbled snap there last winter, but the third inning of last night's game actually surpassed it.
* In the first inning, Tim McCarver said that the reason Tito had to keep Papi in the lineup was this exact situation, "two out and nobody on" and Joe Buck didn't even bother to correct him.
* The bullpen band looked lost without their usual assortment of percussive surfaces.
* It's hilarious that Aaron Cook has been out with an oblique injury since August, given that certain Manny detractors flipped their shit when he was slow to come back from an oblique injury in September. Dude, at least Manny was ready for the division series.
* Julio Lugo made two potentially game-saving defensive plays. Um.
* Thanks to those who pointed out that NDRaPRSFftEMRSoML may be gaining steam with the front office. Mikey just had to keep piling it on, though, with two great "Eff You" moments last night, the "eff you for walking Manny to get to me" hit straight up the middle in the third and the "eff you for thinking that I run so slowly that glaciers melt while I'm on the basepaths, you're not necessarily wrong, but my eyebrows have more hits than three of your guys, so I think I'll steal third anyway" stolen base in the top of the ninth.
* Jacoby Ellsbury and Dustin Pedroia = the Pedbury show? The Ellsroia show? Hmm, needs work ....