Tuesday, October 23, 2007

... still waiting to find out that jd drew's grand slam in game six was actually a break with reality that landed me in a mental institution

My plans for tonight included doing a ton of laundry, cleaning my kitchen and going to bed early, because something tells me I will not have very much time for sleeping and other pointless domestic frivolity in the next couple days. And, despite how the Standells might tell it, this frustrated woman has to be in by 9 o'clock. As the longest off-day since, oh, let's say, last Thursday winds to a close, seven things I'm thinking about:

1. Josh Beckett will start Game 1 of the World Series and enjoy home field advantage because the AL won the All Star Game, a game in which Josh Beckett was the winning pitcher of record. This is a funny coincidence but should not come as a surprise: we all know that Josh Beckett is willing to do everything himself if he has to.

2. Speaking of Beckett, I've seen this mentioned a few places, but even if you already know about it, it bears further discussion. In fact, while killing time during the next 22 hours, I'd like each of you to write a 1000 word essay about the possibilities for this to be the most magnificent thing that has ever happened:

Beckett is a horse of a starting pitcher. His work ethic is so strong that the Red Sox are sending their best two young starting pitchers, Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz, to Beckett's home in Texas this winter specifically to absorb and learn from his work habits and determination.

What I am imagining right now is a combination of a college frat initiation gone terribly, terribly wrong, military boot camp and Bad News Bears, and it's WONDERFUL. If everything goes according to the plan, the 2008 starting rotation could feature Josh Beckett and two mini-Becketts. It's basically the next best thing to having a rotation of Josh Beckett clones, and don't tell me that Theo hasn't considered that. Paying shitloads of money to get pitchers cloned is totally going to be the new paying shitloads of money to import them from Japan.

3. I'm watching the first game in the Red Sox/Rockies game from June on NESN and, jeez, I know it's been a couple months, but it feels like a bajillion years ago. It's Dustin Pedroia's first game batting lead-off! Everyone's very concerned that his hot streak could be a fluke! Maybe he can't handle the pressure! And, Christ, Mike Lowell is still batting sixth.

4. Speaking of God's Chosen Mighty Mite, you're right, Sunday's home run does extend his don't-call-it-clutch Pedroia homers = Sox win streak to 9-0 on the season.

5. Brief intermission, let's all just marvel at this photograph for another minute:



I ... just don't even know what goes on in that boy's head sometimes.

6. I love Boston 365 days a year, but I never love Boston more than when the entire city is completely saturated in its devotion to the Red Sox. On my way to work on Monday -- sitting on the subway, in line for coffee, waiting for the elevator -- literally every single conversation I overheard was about Sunday night's game. Last night, Katie and I went to see The Hold Steady and the lead singer, when telling a story about a member their crew who'd never been to Boston before, said, "I told him there's one big difference between Boston and New York. In Boston, they play baseball deep into October."

7. Katie and I were trying to decide where to watch the game tomorrow night, and we decided the wisest choice would be re-create our ALDS Game 1 experience to the letter. We even figured out exactly what we ordered on our pizza, and who sat on which side of Katie's couch. Now, is it 8:35 on Wednesday yet?

11 Comments:

At 10:55 PM, Blogger Heavy Critters said...

How was The Hold Steady Show??

I saw them when they were Lifter Puller when I lived in Minneapolis, but never saw them once they moved east coast and became The Hold Steady.

Craig Finn is kick ass, and the new album is amazing.

Back to the Sox:

Sox in 5.

And if Gagne even sniffs the rosin bag, I'm gonna be PISSED OFF.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger always thinking about papelbon said...

Hold Steady were fantastic! We saw them last year at the Middle East and they were really great and REALLY drunk, and last night Craig Finn said something like, yeah, if you saw us at the Middle East last year, sorry we were so drunk, we'll try to do better this time.

I would have left Eric Gagne off the World Series roster for the bullpen parrot.

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger Jo said...

ok, I am in san diego. Is it bad that on Sunday while the city started burning, I got mad because they were interrupting the game to tell me the current wind speed and humidity level? I miss boston. And can't wait for the mini becketts.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Kirby Bits said...

This morning on the commuter rail, the conductor led the entire train in a non-denominational prayer for the Red Sox.

I'm not making that up, although I kind of felt like I was controlling reality with my mind.

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

another beckett press conference gem: "locked in? I don't even know what that means." but I adore him regardless.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger The Improper Brahmin said...

Come to Boston.

The drinks'll be on me.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Wade said...

"locked in? I don't even know what that means."

It's a metaphor, Josh. A metaphor for when you're trapped inside your house.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger always thinking about papelbon said...

Jared -- If that's the case, I think the metaphor is more appropriately applied to the Rockies. It's how I hope they'll feel when they're trapped inside Fenway Park with Josh Beckett tonight.

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally on board with the mini-Becketts idea and I agree 110% with bloody p about Gagne. Just say no!

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

chanel handbags, burberry outlet online, christian louboutin outlet, nike air max, oakley vault, tiffany and co jewelry, michael kors outlet online, michael kors handbags, burberry outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet store, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, christian louboutin, coach outlet store online, true religion outlet, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet online, nike free, true religion, polo ralph lauren outlet, gucci handbags, louis vuitton handbags, coach outlet, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, nike air max, jordan shoes, nike outlet, polo ralph lauren, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, red bottom shoes, tory burch outlet online, kate spade outlet online, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, ray ban outlet, michael kors outlet online, coach outlet, tiffany jewelry, cheap oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet online

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

pandora jewelry, swarovski jewelry, ray ban, timberland shoes, canada goose, pandora uk, hollister, ugg, uggs canada, nike air max, karen millen, toms outlet, moncler outlet, coach outlet, lancel, moncler, hollister clothing, juicy couture outlet, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, pandora charms, moncler, louboutin, links of london uk, supra shoes, parajumpers outlet, wedding dress, air max, canada goose, replica watches, moncler outlet, converse shoes, canada goose pas cher, moncler, gucci, ralph lauren, moncler, montre femme, swarovski uk, oakley, louis vuitton canada, moncler, converse, thomas sabo uk, canada goose, hollister canada, iphone 6 case, vans

 

Post a Comment

<< Home