Sunday, August 13, 2006

now that dougie's batting over .200, anything's possible

"We just swept the Orioles. How can I have a bad taste in my mouth? It's just one of those games where you have to keep grinding and just find a way to get through it."

*

"I'm battling and battling [and] my first reaction is he picked me up. That's what they've been doing all year, and that's what they're great at. For me, it was a relief. That's a huge play. [If] he doesn't make that, it's probably a tie ballgame [and] maybe they go ahead. He's just been clutch for us all year."

Jonathan Papelbon, reminding us again that the sky still isn't falling and giving some much-deserved love to Mike Lowell. And as much as I would always prefer to see Paps come in guns blazing for a one-two-three inning, there's something to be said for knowing that he can get out of a pretty mucked-up jam, keeping it together after walking in a run.

Some Things I Learned This Weekend, by Kelly M, Age 23 and 11/12ths

1. Footage of Jason Varitek and Tim Wakefield long-tossing before the game on Friday was absolutely enough to have me reaching for the smelling salts.

2. Mike Lowell is not human. Gets hit in the head and makes a diving into the seats catch on Friday, hits a grand slam and makes a game-ending snag tonight. Mike Lowell is a bad-ass new god. I know it, you know, Jonathan Papelbon knows it, as seen with his "you are a bad-ass new god" pointing and hugging after the end of the game tonight.

3. Doug Mirabelli has now homered in his last three games. Me: "It may be time to admit that he is, in fact, a stud who hits bombs." PM: "Oh, he is. Sometimes it's reality, sometimes it's just in his head, but he's always a stud who hits bombs."

4. Terry Francona hates me. He lets me know it with these seemingly endless lineup shenanigans. I know that today's dance card shuffling was mostly due to Papi having the day off, but it seems like we've had about twenty-six different batting orders since the All-Star break, and they've all involved the lukewarm Coco at lead-off experiment. My dream batting order was, as we previously discussed, last Wednesday's, with Youk back at lead-off and Wily Mo in the five spot. I can't decide if Tito switched it up again because we lost that game, and if that's the case, Tito, that was the fourth loss in a five-game losing streak. We lost that game against the Royals because Allah hates us, not because you had Wily Mo batting fifth. Here's what I want to see: Youk, Loretta, Papi, Manny, Wily Mo. I'll leave the bottom of the order up to you -- I'd play it Lowell, Coco, A.Gon/Cora, Catcher of the Day, but, hey! You're the manager! You make the call!

5. I am rather sad that Manny's hitting streak has ended. But then again, Manny being Manny, I suppose it's possible he didn't even know he had a hitting streak.

6. You can't have nice things and win a baseball game. Today was a beautiful day, and when we were up 10-6 after seven innings, I thought, hey, I'll walk down to the Upper Crust in Coolidge Corner and watch the last of the game there. Hahah, my punishment was having to watch the seemingly endless ninth inning in public, shredding my napkin, involuntarily cursing under my breath and scaring old ladies and non-English speaking tourists. Good times, good times. From now on, I vow to only watch games from my hole in the dining room.

3 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dougie did not hate fun yesterday. that was helpful.

jonathan hugged both dougie and mike lowell yesterday once the game was actually over. i think he just really needed a hug.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger always thinking about papelbon said...

i needed a hug after that game was over, man. but i think i'd already frightened the tourists enough.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Kristen said...

Those tourists in Coolidge Corner are so goddamned sensitive. Honestly, what's a little swearing and throwing thngs in public between a girl and her baseball team?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home